Position: HR Manager at Nuru International Kenya
Location: Isibania, Kuria West District
About The Organization:
Nuru International Kenya is an NGO committed to ending extreme poverty in remote, rural areas by offering locally-led training in agriculture, personal finance, healthcare, and education.
Nuru focuses on cultivating service-minded leaders and equipping people with tools and knowledge to lead their communities out of extreme poverty.
Using local income-generating activities, Nuru sustains its work and funds program scaling into neighboring districts – thereby multiplying impact.
Nuru's vision is to create a world where people living in extreme poverty have the choice to determine their future.
About The Position:
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the Human Resources Manager will hold a critical leadership role in the organization.
They will manage all HR policies, and create and manage a streamlined system for managing our current employees, turnover, and future employees, in a rapidly growing organization.
This is an exciting opportunity for an accomplished human resources leader, with a deep understanding and track record of managing HR strategy and operations, who will play a pivotal role in Nuru’s next phase of development.
- Responsible to CEO
- Responsible for ensuring employees are treated fairly according to employment law and Nuru regulations, and that all policies, regulations, and conduct are aligned with the employment laws of the country and Nuru policies, and for advising the CEO and Nuru International staff accordingly.
- Manage payroll and external fees compliance.
- Operating the hiring and onboarding programmes for all of Nuru’s departments.
- Advising relevant staff on disciplinary actions and terminations, where needed.
- Managing terminations and redundancies, as required.
- Managing payscale changes as advised.
- Managing the performance tracking and professional development systems for all employees.
- Manage all employee benefits.
- Manage all employee records.
- Manage all payroll deductions (statutory and otherwise).
- Manage, and update regularly, all HR policies, including the HR manual, transportation policies, etc.
- Manage compound (office) security and associated staff and contractors.
- Manage HR clerk(s).
- Passion for Nuru International Kenya’s mission and model.
- At least 3-5 years of work experience including management experience in an HR department, preferably within an NGO.
- Degree in Human Resources Management, or equivalent.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office Suite.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant Kenyan law.
- Demonstrated strong leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional strategic problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to manage the entrepreneurial challenges of a young organization including partnership creation and the development of systems and procedures that ensure a high degree of accountability and transparency.
- Excellent and demonstrated capacity to work as a part of a cohesive team.
- Extreme flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high level of responsibility and multiple priorities.
- Comfortable operating in an environment of uncertainty and ambiguity associated with a rapidly growing startup.
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative.
- Fluency in English and Ki-Swahili required; fluency in Ki-Kurian preferred but not required.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Nuru International is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualified Individuals, Please Apply:
Interested applicants should submit their testimonials including resume/CVs and cover letter supported by at least two known references.
Please complete your application in English, include your phone number, and turn it in at our offices / Human Resources (see PO Box for mailing information) or email it to HRmanagerjob@nuru.co.ke.
Please outline how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
Interview arrangements: Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only shortlisted candidates or proposals will be contacted.