World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
Research Assistant - CIMMYT
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® (www.cimmyt.org), is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, and through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries.
We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
The positions will be based at CIMMYT Nairobi/Kiboko offices.
The incumbents will work under the supervision of the respective Scientist / Maize Entomologist, providing technical support to CIMMYT scientists by carrying out the following activities:
- Assist the scientist in the planning and execution of on-farm and on-station demonstration trials
- Under the direction of the supervisor monitor field activities including pre-harvest and postharvest pest management trials
- Assist in organizing of training of stakeholders.
- Assist stakeholders and farmers in the demonstration of postharvest pest management technologies
- Assist the scientist in supervising field technicians and skilled labour
- Assist in data capture, data management and data analysis
- Assist in drafting reports and journal papers
- Under the direction of the supervisor coordinates project research activities
- As directed provide technical assistance to visiting scientists and students
- A Master’s degree in Agricultural Entomology from recognized University
- 2-3 years’ experience in the field of entomology or closely related field
- Practical experience in use of SAS, SPSS or GenStat statistical software for data analysis
- Experience in working with maize and especially on maize insect pests
- Practical experience in working with field layout and lab experiments will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated good communication and organizational skills and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to effectively work with minimum supervision
- Good interpersonal skills, strong team spirit, integrity, honesty and self-motivation
- A valid Kenya driver’s license.
- Good interpersonal skills and a strong desire to support the delivery of improved, products, tools and services to team members and collaborators.
- Excellent English skills.
- Ability to work well as part of multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
Terms of Offer
The position will be on local terms. Salary and perquisites paid in local currency are highly competitive.
Appointment is on a three (3) years contract subject to a six-month probation period, satisfactory performance and adequate funding.
ICRAF and CIMMYT offer a collegial and gender-sensitive environment.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications/competencies/skills and a detailed curriculum vitae, with names and addresses of three referees (including telephone, fax numbers and email address).
All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), P.O. Box 30677, Nairobi, Kenya; Tel +254 2 524000; Fax +254 2 524001;
OR via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be considered until January 30, 2013.
Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please indicate your advertisement source in your application.
Only shortlisted applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRAF and CIMMYT by accessing our web sites www.cimmyt.org and www.cgiar.org/icraf